[cups] lpform failing, password not recognized

Jörg Thümmler listen at vordruckleitverlag.de
Mon Jun 26 23:04:14 PDT 2023

Am 26.06.23 um 19:26 schrieb Johnnie W Adams:
> It's definitely CUPS.
>
> On Fri, Jun 2, 2023 at 4:36 PM ProCom Solutions <doug at goprocom.com> wrote:
>
>> Are you able to test printing a test directly to the print queue using the
>> O/S’ lp command to confirm that the print queue is working and take lpform
>> out of the equation as a test?
>>
>> lp -dprintqueue filename
>>
>> If that works, you know it’s lpform…. If it doesn’t, you just ruled it
>> out.. and can concentrate on cups alone…
>>
>> Doug
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 2, 2023 at 11:10 AM <sawbona at xsmail.com> wrote:

>>> It would seem so but it's rather over my head.
>>>
>>> The only thing I was able to find when searching for 'lpform+cups'
>>> was this, from just over 20 years ago:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/65
>>>
>>> It was a general feature request which was not accepted.
>>>
>>> But asides from that, nothing else save references to packages
>>> including that module.
>>>
>>> The OP would have to look upstream for more information:
>>>
>>> https://ctan.org/pkg/lpform?lang=en
>>>
>>> https://ctan.dcc.uchile.cl/macros/generic/lpform/lpform-doc.pdf
>>>
>>> Author: Marijn Waltman
>>> E-mail: marijnwaltman AT hotmail DOT com
>>> Date:   July 14, 2014
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> JHM
>>>
>> --
>> --
>>   Doug Ritchie
>> ProCom Solutions, Inc.
>> (Systems Integrator/VAR/Reseller)
>> 410-997-6777 ext.110      Ring Me
>> Direct Dial Voice & Fax: 443-393-3428  (ProCom Support 800-997-6777 option
>> 1)
>>
>> "Unix is user friendly... It's just picky about its friends..."

Hi,

just read over the whole thing... "one of my users" means a remote cups
user on your machine or a user directly working on his own machine?
If it's remote there may be network problems or access limitations...

Another question: lpform as mentioned above is just LaTex command set,
not a script for printing... you can build latex code for equations with
it. Don't thing it is used as you wrote:

	lpform lineprint2 -Pls139 outputfile.txt

your lpform seems to be something else or at least some latex wrapper...
what about Doug's

	 lp -dprintqueue filename

does it print?

If yes ... can you show the lpform script's code?

--
cu

jth