[cups] Samsung M2020W - change power-save settings via CUPS

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue May 23 08:17:14 PDT 2023

On 23/05/2023 16:37, sawbona at xsmail.com wrote:
> But while I was looking for answers on the web I came across a Linux
> package that *could* be a solution: ipp-usb
>
> https://github.com/OpenPrinting/ipp-usb

I wanted to recommend this to you, too, but I was hesitating because
your printer could be too old. If you have a not-too-old printer, which
does driverless printing on the network, it does in most cases also
driverless printing via IPP-over-USB. And this does not only include
driverless (IPP) printing, but also driverless (eSCL) scanning (if your
device has a scanner built in) and the web admin interface, which would
probably allow you to adjust the energy saving timeout.

>  From what I understand, it would allow HTTP requests to a USB printer
> over the IPP protocol.
>
> Would installing this allow me to see the M2020W with a browser in my
> Linux Devuan box?

Yes.

> Would it be worth the hassle?

You should try. It is as easy as installing the ipp-usb package and once
having it installed you connect your printer via USB and will see its
web admin interface under

http://localhost:60000/

or

https://localhost:60000/

Note that with ipp-usb up and running you cannot use the classic driver
anny more, but have to use the printer in its driverless mode. You will
have to remove your current print queue and in a printer setup tool
(like "Printers" in GNOME Control Center, system-config-printer, CUPS'
http://localhost:631/ ...) look for your ptinter under the discovered
network printers.

    Till