[cups] Why are we letting Apple Break printing in Linux?

Jeff Dyck fsjjeff at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 11:33:34 PDT 2023

Pretty sure the Open Printing group has taken over CUPS since September 2020… from the “A Brief History of CUPS” on the open printing website:

"In December 2019, Michael left Apple to start Lakeside Robotics <https://www.lakesiderobotics.ca/>. In September 2020 he teamed up with the OpenPrinting developers to fork Apple CUPS to continue its development. Today Apple CUPS <https://github.com/apple/cups> is the version of CUPS that is provided with macOS® and iOS® while OpenPrinting CUPS <https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups> is the version of CUPS being further developed by OpenPrinting for all operating systems.”

The newest Apple version of CUPS is 2.3.6 from May 25, 2022.

The newest version of OpenPrinting CUPS is 2.4.7 from 3 weeks ago.  And all the 3.0 work is being done by OpenPrinting as well.

Jeff