[cups] Why are we letting Apple Break printing in Linux?

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Wed Oct 11 12:31:40 PDT 2023

OpenPrinting is a WorkGroup sponsored by Linux Foundation (and it's
predecessor, Free Standards Group) since 2006.  You can find their
website at http://openprinting.org (redirects to
https://openprinting.github.io/)
You can find information about OpenPrinting's support of CUPS on the
website.

When a project (like CUPS) is forked and maintained by another
organization, this does not change the copyrights owned by the
previous maintainer(s).  Unless Apple transferred copyright ownership to
OpenPrinting (which I doubt) they still retain the copyrights to
whatever code they claim ownership.  That is why you see the
copyright notice on the CUPS webpage.  (The OP CUPS source code also has
copyright notices for OpenPrinting.)  Apple owns the trademark for
CUPS.

--
Michael Eager