[cups] Why are we letting Apple Break printing in Linux?

Bob cups-a5729 at listemail.net
Wed Oct 11 18:42:05 PDT 2023

** Reply to message from Mark Dm <markosjal at gmail.com> on Wed, 11 Oct 2023
11:54:09 -0700

For Ubuntu the version of CUPS I have on my system is 2.4.2. The home page has
a link to https://openprinting.github.io/cups/ that has this information.

"
A Brief History of CUPS

CUPS was originally developed by Michael R Sweet at Easy Software Products
starting in 1997, with the first beta release on May 14, 1999. Not long after,
Till Kamppeter started packaging CUPS for Mandrake Linux and created the
Foomatic drivers for CUPS, leading the adoption of CUPS for printing on Linux.
Apple licensed CUPS for macOS in 2002, and in February 2007 Apple purchased
CUPS and hired Michael to continue its development as an open source project.

In December 2019, Michael left Apple to start Lakeside Robotics. In September
2020 he teamed up with the OpenPrinting developers to fork Apple CUPS to
continue its development. Today Apple CUPS is the version of CUPS that is
provided with macOSĀ© and iOSĀ© while OpenPrinting CUPS is the version of CUPS
being further developed by OpenPrinting for all operating systems.
"

As I see it it has always been an open source system.