[cups] cups 2 printersetup for one (hardware) printer

Douglas Kosovic doug at uq.edu.au
Mon Mar 4 17:57:53 PST 2024

Hi Simon,

> i am on cups 2.4.2 at opensuse tumbleweed not completely up to date.
>
> but i think this is more or less a general question:

CUPS 2.4.2 has a number of bugs related to color printing, I would recommend upgrading to the latest version of CUPS that Tumbleweed updates offers.

e.g. the following CUPS 2.4.2 color mode setting bugs:
https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups/pull/687
https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups/issues/421

There was also a color related fix for non-IPP Everywhere print queues in a later version.

You can set the default color-mode with the following commands:

lpadmin -p SHARP_MX-3060N -o print-color-mode-default=color

lpadmin -p SHARP_MX-3060N -o print-color-mode-default=monochrome

Cheers,
Doug