[cups] cups 2 printersetup for one (hardware) printer

Douglas Kosovic doug at uq.edu.au
Mon Mar 4 23:16:43 PST 2024

Hi Simon,

> thanks for the hint, and the links, even i do not think its that problem,

> i have the problem when i set the printer to color mode, both printers

> are set to color mode, and if i set to grey, both printers are set to

> gray, and if i set to "auto" both printers are set to "auto"

> but for sure updating is not a bad idea, i will do when having some spare time.

Where and how are you setting the color mode?

The issue I had was that I couldn't get the color setting to stick on the color queues between the CUPS server and a CUPS client.

> do you know in what file the settings are stored (and overwrite the default

> settings in the .ppd-file)?

The order of precedence for selecting color is described in the issues link I posted for the post CUPS 2.4.2 fix :

• if no options are sent from application, cupsd uses the PPD default - in case there's no PPD default, use print-color-mode-default.

• if there is a color related option from application, prefer it over PPD and print-color-mode in cups.

• PPD and print-color-mode color settings are in synch - if you change one setting, the other will be updated to the new value as well.

If you issue the following :

  lpadmin -p SHARP_MX-3060N -o print-color-mode-default=color

  lpadmin -p SHARP_MX-3060N-sw -o print-color-mode-default=monochrome

You will have the following two lines in /etc/cups/printers.conf :

  Option print-color-mode color

  Option print-color-mode monochrome

I also double checked *DefaultColorModel was what it should have been in the PPDs for the color & B&W print queues.

*DefaultColorModel: RGB

*DefaultColorModel: Gray

Cheers,
Doug