[cups] cups 2 printersetup for one (hardware) printer

Simon Becherer simon at becherer.de
Tue Mar 5 11:43:19 PST 2024

Am 05.03.24 um 20:19 schrieb Simon Becherer:
> Hi doug,
>
> Am 05.03.24 um 08:16 schrieb Douglas Kosovic:
>> Hi Simon,
>>

>>> thanks for the hint, and the links, even i do not think its that problem,
>>
>>> i have the problem when i set the printer to color mode, both printers
>>
>>> are set to color mode, and if i set to grey, both printers are set to
>>
>>> gray, and if i set to "auto" both printers are set to "auto"
>>
>>> but for sure updating is not a bad idea, i will do when having some spare time.
>>

>> Where and how are you setting the color mode?
>>
> oh, good point!
>
> inside the application's print dialog:
> evince
> libreoffice
> okular,
>
> i have done:
>
> lpadmin -p SHARP_MX-3060N -o print-color-mode-default=color
> lpadmin -p SHARP_MX-3060N-sw -o print-color-mode-default=monochrome
>
> i see, okular and libreoffice respect the settings,
> printing black-white with theĀ  ..-sw
> printer-que
> and color with the other.
>
> but evince did not respect it, so it seems that it's a problem
> from evince.
> if i set one que to color, the other is also color.
>
> i tested without the lpadmin commands, at another system, same,
> so there is no different.
>
> finally, you point me to the correct question/result.
>
> its a problem not from cups its a problem from evince,
> in its .confg/evince/print-settings file there are all
> settings but only the last active cue is in.
> if i delete the file and start evince new, select
> the bw printer it prints bw. closing evince, deleting
> the file again, start select the color printer it
> prints color.
> it seems, it could only remember the settings and the
> printer, and if i chose another printer, the settings
> will still be from the last printer and not read again
> the new default of new printer.
>
> so ist seems for me not a bug, mor a feature.
>
> thanks for helping me.
>
> simoN

only to complete this:
a work around for evince is to make a
file: print-settings-empty
with this content:

[Print Settings]
printer=SHARP_MX-3060N-sw

[Page Setup]
PPDName=A4
DisplayName=A4
Width=210
Height=297
MarginTop=6.3499999999999996
MarginBottom=14.224
MarginLeft=6.3499999999999996
MarginRight=6.3499999999999996
Orientation=portrait

and before each start of evince copy this file to
print-settings

(to be always on this "default" printer when starting
the evince printer dialog)
and because there are no other settings, when now
change the printer to a other printer, evince loads the
defaults from the ppd file an prints the defaults for that
printer.
- this of course works only for the first print job after
opening evince, after printing, the file is written with
the settings and it remembers the color settings for all
printers...

simoN

--
www.becherer.de