[cups.general] PAM authentication problem

Paulo Silva pjs at eurotux.com
Thu Jul 22 10:23:10 PDT 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to get PAM authentication with CUPS but I'm having some
strange problems. When I try to print a regular text file I'm asked for
the user's password and after inserting it the printing works well but
if I try to print a .ps file the authentication fails. The logs indicate
a PAM error:

D [22/Jul/2004:18:18:03 +0100] ReadClient: 7 POST /printers/deskjet
HTTP/1.1
E [22/Jul/2004:18:18:05 +0100] IsAuthorized: pam_authenticate() returned
7 (Authentication failure)!

I have the following configuration for the printers:

<Location /printers>
AuthType Basic
AuthClass User
Order Deny,Allow