Printing from GIMP 1.2 through JetDirect to HP PSC500 stalls

John Buttery john at io.com
Mon Jun 28 23:01:00 PDT 2004

  Unfortunately I'm not quite sure what the relevant information here
is, but the symptoms are that I'm trying to print a picture from GIMP
1.2 and nothing comes out.  GIMP goes through the progress bar and
thinks it's printing, CUPS shows the following on the administration
page for the printer:

Printer State: processing, accepting jobs.
"Sending print file, 8192 bytes..."
Device URI: socket://jetdirect.local.lan:9100/

  Here's the output of lpq:

PSC500 is ready and printing
Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)                         Total Size
active  john    44      (stdin)                         1168384 bytes

  Both of these status displays just sit there forever.  The printer
itself says "Printing..." on its LCD panel so some data must be getting
to it.  I'm not sure what to do to generate a more specific error
message.

  The printer is an HP PSC500 connected to a JetDirect.  Other apps (ie
OpenOffice.org, Mozilla, etc) can print fine.  I've fiddled a bit with
the setup since I started, when the problem was that it would print, but
it was sending PostScript to the printer (which it doesn't understand)
so raw PostScript (ie, text) was coming out.  It's a Debian system, here
are the installed packages which I think are relevant (FYI, for those of
you familiar with the Debian release system, I'm tracking sarge/testing):

% COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l \*gimp\* \*cups\* | \
(more)-> grep ^ii | \
(more)-> awk '{print $1 " " $2 " " $3}'
ii cupsys-driver-gimpprint 4.2.6-4
ii cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data 4.2.6-4
ii foomatic-db-gimp-print 4.2.6-4
ii gimp-data-extras 1.2.0-3
ii gimp1.2 1.2.3-2.4
ii gimp1.2-print 4.2.0-4
ii gimpprint-locales 4.2.6-4
ii gtkam-gimp 0.1.2-2
ii ijsgimpprint 4.2.6-4
ii libgimp1 1.0.4-3
ii libgimp1.2 1.2.3-2.4
ii libgimpprint1 4.2.6-4
ii cupsys 1.1.20final+cvs20040330-3
ii cupsys-bsd 1.1.20final+cvs20040330-3
ii cupsys-client 1.1.20final+cvs20040330-3
ii cupsys-driver-gimpprint 4.2.6-4
ii cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data 4.2.6-4
ii cupsys-pt 1.2.4-1
ii libcupsimage2 1.1.20final+cvs20040330-3
ii libcupsys2 1.1.20final+cvs20040330-3
ii libcupsys2-dev 1.1.20final+cvs20040330-3
ii libqtcups2 2.0-4
ii qtcups 2.0-4

  Thanks in advance for any help, and feel free to ask for more info.

--
John Buttery <john at io.com>