[cups.general] lp and lpr commands

Michael Banta mbanta at bantacomputers.com
Fri May 7 16:17:53 PDT 2004

Hello.

There seem to be two commands that allow you to submit print jobs from the command line:

lp
and
lpr

If I use the command lp <namedprinter> text.file, I get the response:  request id is banta-12 (1 file(s)).

However, if I use the command lpr <namedprinter> text.file, I get no response, just the prompt back.

I have been reading on how to configure CUPS and these two commands seem to get tossed around with no explaination on which one should be used.  They apprear to do the same thing.

Thanks.
Mike