[cups.general] How do I print postscript files ?

Martin Gruber gruber at ads.tuwien.ac.at
Tue May 11 07:58:18 PDT 2004

Hi!

On Tue, 11 May 2004 v.sudeep at exgate.tek.com wrote:
> Hi !!!
>
> First and foremost.. THANKS for the response !!! It helps to know that there
> are people around who will listen to your problems.  :)
>
> Ok.. now.. I agree that postscript is a native printing format. But I guess,
> image files, files with special fonts etc etc are all converted to ps first,
> before it gets converted to the raster format for printing. (am i good on
> this one ?)
>
> yes, I am sure it is not corrupted, since I am able to print it to my
> network printer (postscript printer). However I am having trouble printing
> this same file onto my locally connected (usb) HP Deskjet 640c (non
> postscript printer). It prints a few lines of the postscript file on the
> first page and then just goes on printing blank sheets....
>
> I am not sure how to print this without using the gs command. I want to be
> able to make CUPS select the appropriate filters and print the postscript
> file.
>
> I had set the cupsd.conf to debug2. I am attaching the error_log file. Its
> pretty long... though..

Ok, I'm sorry but I'm the wrong man here, I've no experience with USB
and HP inkjet printers.

In your logfile there are some error messages (the lines starting with
an 'E') like these two here which I think (but I'm not shure) have
something to do with USB:

  E [11/May/2004:16:40:23 +0530] print_job: resource name
    '/printers/sudee2' no good!
  E [11/May/2004:16:43:11 +0530] print_job: resource name
    '/printers/sud2' no good!

For HP inkjet printers you can try to use special drivers called hpijs.
See http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/ for details.

Hope someone else can help you here.

> - S u d e e p    V

Bye