[cups.general] cups printing to Windows IPP Server

Guenther Frick gfrick at gmx.net
Wed May 19 07:22:55 PDT 2004

Jakub Troszok wrote:
> Hello,
> Thank you for your previous answers.
>
> Now I would like to print using CUPS on printers that are
> attached to Windows machines.
>
> I've got Windows 2000 Server with IIS and IPP but the
> problem is that everytime I want to print something I
> got client-not-authorized error.
>
> I cannot configure my cups client applications to connect
> to windows server. I changed the .cupsrc and exported
> IPP_PORT variable but it doesn't work.
> For example the KDE KPrint asks me about the username
> and passwords but I got error anyway.
> Is authentication not supported by CUPS or is it
> problem of KDEPrint ?
>
> I cannot configure a printer on cups server to connect
> to windows server using the credentials.
> I suppose it could be done
> by changing the configuration file, but I don't want to
> let/force users running their OpenOffice/KWord on my
> linux box to change the CUPS config.
>
> Do you plan to port CUPS also on Windows ?
> The home versions of Windows are not able
> to share their printers using the IPP protocol
> so it would be nice if we could use CUPS both
> on Linux/Unix and Windows platforms.

According to Microsoft KB 323428 (ws2003) or 313058 (w2k)
Windows uses following authentication methods:
1. anonymous access
2. "Integrated Windows authentication" aka NTLM
3. Digest authentication for domain servers
4. basic authentication with password as clear text
5. Microsoft .NET Passport authentication

I believe only 1 and 4 is working with CUPS.
A further method is "IP Address and Domain Restriction".
This should work, too.