Looking for .inf file for cups-samba-5.0rc3

Clif at eugeneweb.com Clif at eugeneweb.com
Fri Oct 22 01:25:52 PDT 2004

Howdy,

I've been trying to follow the samba docs on serving ps drivers for cups from the print share in section: http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html#id2563178

When I point my win2k client at a networked printer I get a mesage about a missing .INF file.

A while back Michael Lueck posted a hand made INF file to work with the adobe universal driver which looks like this:
; PSCRIPT.INF
;
; Michael Lueck, Lueck Data Systems
; Version 1.1
; This INF is intended to be used with:
; Adobe Universal PostScript Windows Driver Installer 1.0.6 - English

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
Provider="Adobe"
LayoutFile=layout.inf
ClassGUID={4D36E979-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Class=Printer

[Manufacturer]
"Adobe"

[Adobe]
"AdobePSGenericPostScriptPrinter"                             = DEFPRTR2.PPD

[DEFPRTR2.PPD]
CopyFiles=PSCRIPT
DataSection=PSCRIPT_DATA

[PSCRIPT]
DEFPRTR2.PPD
PS5UI.DLL
PSCRIPT.HLP
PSCRIPT.NTF
PSCRIPT5.DLL

[PSCRIPT_DATA]
DriverFile=PSCRIPT5.DLL
ConfigFile=PS5UI.DLL
HelpFile=PSCRIPT.HLP

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir=66000

[ControlFlags]
ExcludeFromSelect = 2369

Now I tried to edit this to work with the Cups set of files but I'm not a windows hacker and it still gave me the same message. Maybe one needs to do more than just copying it into /etc/samba/drivers/W32X86/2 and restart samba?

I've been searching high and low on how to do this but haven't found too many clues yet.

Alternativly I tried to install the Adobe drivers but apparently only the win2k files were placed on my client so the cupsaddsmb complained about the ADOBE* files not  being there.  I could install an old win98 on some machine just to get the rest of the those files but it seems like a lot of work just to make cupsaddsmb.

Is there a better way? :-)

    Thanks,
    Clif