no error reporting

bugbear at trim_papermule_trim.co.uk bugbear at trim_papermule_trim.co.uk
Wed Sep 15 06:11:33 PDT 2004

We were printing from Adobe acrobat reader to a
HP PCL printer, and fell into the CID font bug in
ghostscript.

We have (thanks to the web!) upgraded our
ghostscript so we now have successful printing.

But, but, but.

When the job failed, we got no error messages
anywhere.

Just a silent printer.

When we turned on debug, we could see the ghostscript
error messages in the log file, which is how we diagnosed
the problem.

I can understand having to turn on detailed diagnistics
to get *more*  information about a failure, but surely
a "print failed" message should have gone SOMEWHERE?

        BugBear