cupsd dies on lpadmin -x printername

bernd at rhm.de bernd at rhm.de
Mon Apr 25 09:37:47 PDT 2005

> Hallo,
>
> On Apr 10 14:49 bernd at rhm.de wrote (shortened):
> > ... I made a new installation from CD on a separat box, made a loop
> > adding 20 printers and after that removed them in a second loop.
> > In media every 10-th run of the loops cupsd dies.
>
> At the moment I am running Suse Linux 9.3 on my workstation
> and for me it works well:
>
> for i in $( seq 100 999 )
> do echo -n "$i "
>    date
>    lpadmin -p p$i -v file:/dev/null -E -P /usr/share/cups/model/Postscript.ppd.gz
> done
>
> creates the queues with constant rate (about 3 queues each second)
> without any problem and
>
> for i in $( seq 100 999 )
> do echo -n "$i "
>    date
>    lpadmin -x p$i
> done
>
> removes them (about 60 queues each second) without any problem.
>

> Even under heavy load with active print jobs using for example
>
> for i in $( seq 100 999 )
> do echo -n "$i "
>    date
>    lpadmin -p p$i -v file:/dev/null -E -P /usr/share/cups/model/Postscript.ppd.gz
>    lp -d p$i /usr/share/doc/packages/cups/spm.pdf
> done
>
> works without any error, but of course now it takes much much more
> time to complete.
>

> Kind Regards
> Johannes Meixner
> --
> SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de
> 90409 Nuernberg, Germany                    WWW: http://www.suse.de/

Hi Johannes,
thanks for your tests, I made the same yesterday on 9.3. Looks fine!
Now we have to wait if the other problems are fixed, too (disabled printers, client error bad request, printorder, 'waiting printer to finisch' message). We aren't still out with 9.3 at customer side. Most
of the other problems depend on load and usage of the printers. But we'll see soon...

Thanks again, Bernd Rieke
(sorry for late reply, made some holidays between 9.2 and 9.3 :-))