CUPS SMP support?

oh at ceus-it.com oh at ceus-it.com
Wed Dec 21 05:29:22 PST 2005

> oh at ceus-it.com wrote:
> > Hi, is CUPS able to run in SMP Mode? We have more than 1100 Printer
> > Queues handled by CUPS on one Server. For High Availability we are
> > using "heartbeat" with "drbd". But when the Print Queues are filling
> > up overnight, because some printers are powered off or stuck in paper
> > jam, the CPU Load grows to 100% and CUPS turn to work very, very
> > slow. I tried to define Queues on a SMP maschine , but i recognized
> > that CUPS is using only one CPU for processing!? Has somebody an idea
> > how to distribute this heavy load but keep my high availablity?
>
> I'm not sure exactly how you have things configured, however the
> main "scheduler" process (cupsd) runs in a single thread (on a single
> CPU) so only the printing filters/backends will run on separate CPUs.
> "Stuck" jobs should never cause high CPU usage.
>
> We might be able to offer better advice if you included configuration
> details such as the version of CUPS you are using and the operating
> system!
>
> FWIW, CUPS provides high-availability and load-balancing via the
> printer browsing and implicit class stuff, which is often a superior
> solution to traditional HA "cluster" setups.

Michael, thank you for your reply,

but still - when the print-queues holding over 1500 jobs the cpu load raise to 100%. What happens to print jobs that cannot be delivered to a printer? Is cupsd spending much cpu for polling printers?
Maybe you can give me a hint how to set up cups for large configurations?

the version is "cups-1.1.21rc1"
on SuSE Linux (SLES8)

cupsd.conf output:
------------------