[cups.general] Re: cups Digest, Vol 12, Issue 22

Andrew McCallum andrew at ncsis.com
Sun Jan 16 14:01:03 PST 2005

Andrew wrote:

>> <><snip>
>
>> <> I have tried
>>
>> xwd -display localhost:0 -root | xwdtopnm | pnmtops | lpr
>>
>> and
>>
>> xwd -display localhost:0 -root | xwdtopnm | pnmtops > /home/tmp/tmp.ps
>> gs -dBATCH -sOutputFile=\|lpr /home/tmp/tmp.ps
>> #in this case the above creates the proper postscript file, and
>> #the print job gets sent to the server where page_log also shows
>> #the job, however still nothing comes out of the printer.
>>
>> This will print if done from the print server, but not over the
>> network.
>>
>> Cups error log on the server shows that the job is being sent to the
>> printer, however nothing gets printed.
>> /var/log/cups/error_log
>>
>> <snip>
>

>Post (URLs to) sample files procuced by the respective components. I
>suspect
>the created PS file is empty (my pnmtops e.g. complained about the color
>depth
>specification in the pnm file (65535 in this case)).
>
>Helge

Here is the header info from one of the ps files generated.

I have also tried

xwd -display localhost:0 -root | xwdtopnm | ppmtopgm | pnmops | lpr
and other variations so I don't think that it is a colour issue.

%!PS-Adobe-2.0 EPSF-2.0
%%Creator: pnmtops
%%Title: noname.ps
%%Pages: 1
%%BoundingBox: 20 15 591 776
%%EndComments
/readstring {
  currentfile exch readhexstring pop
} bind def
/rpicstr 1024 string def
/gpicstr 1024 string def
/bpicstr 1024 string def
%%EndProlog
%%Page: 1 1
<< /PageSize [ 612 792 ] /ImagingBBox null >> setpagedevice
gsave
20.88 15.84 translate
570.24 760.32 scale
0.5 0.5 translate  90 rotate  -0.5 -0.5 translate
1024 768 8
[ 1024 0 0 -768 0 768 ]
{ rpicstr readstring }
{ gpicstr readstring }
{ bpicstr readstring }
true 3
colorimage
s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1s1

<ps stuff>

%dCcCc%dCcCc
grestore
showpage
%%Trailer

The ps files are all about 4.5MB, I will post a link to the full file
shortly.

Regards

Andrew McCallum