What group does CUPS use

MGuenette mguenette at cslaval.qc.ca
Thu Mar 10 06:30:22 PST 2005

Hi... Here is a good one.. I hope ;)

I'm trying to implement CUPS in a relatively large network (700 printers, over 5000 users).

Now we are in a testing phase and we would like to use CUPS to replace the existing printing system (Novel's NDPS).

OK.. here is the problem, the unix users we have here logs into the network using LDAP. I can ad restriction on the printers using user names. But it would be mush simpler to use groups... LDAP groups.

I tried it, and it does not work.
I also tried to replace the /etc/group file with a file generated with the getent group command.
It does not work.

What I would like to know is, where and how does CUPS get the information on groups? Is it in the /etc/group file? Is it elsewhere?
What can I do to simply use groups for restriction to my printers.
Thanks in advance.