[cups.general] Re: print to windows share but authenticate usersdifferently

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Nov 3 01:35:02 PST 2005

Hello,

On Nov 2 09:12 Erik Sjölund wrote (shortened):
> the windows server ( which is out of my control ) may have a quota
> per user regarding the number of printed papers.

I was only talking about simple user authentication - i.e. plain
deny or allow printing for particular users.

If there is additional authentication-based functionality
like quotas and/or accounting, you would have to set up
for each user a matching queue with matching SMB authentication
(at least with CUPS 1.1.x).

To avoid that user1 can print via the queue for user2 (and get
his jobs accounted for user2) you should additionally specify
appropriate allow/deny settings in /etc/cups/printers.conf,
see "Restricting User Access to a Printer" in the "CUPS Software
Administrators Manual".

If you have many users and many SMB printers you get many many
queues.
In this case you could think about making your own SMB backend
which calls an appropriate smbclient command depending on the
value of argv[2] (i.e. the user name), see "the "CUPS Software
Programmers Manual": "Writing Filters" and "Writing Backends"
and see the man page "man backend".

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de