lpd errors not logged

jklowden at schemamania.org jklowden at schemamania.org
Sun Nov 6 14:12:15 PST 2005

I added a new host -- an iBook running OS X -- to the DNS zone but not to the reverse-lookup zone for 192.168.1.  When the receiving lpd on the NetBSD host attempted to verify the inbound connection, it was unable to determine the originator's hostname.

I discovered the problem by telnetting to port 515, after defeating lpd's source port range check.  lpd returned the message: "/usr/sbin/lpd: Host name for your address (192.168.1.9) unknown"

An error message was sent to CUPS, which didn't log it in /var/log/cups/error_log.