[cups.general] Routing dosemu print output through CUPS to file?

Kenward Vaughan kay_jay at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 6 16:41:09 PDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 08:47:28AM +0200, Johannes Meixner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Sep 5 10:51 Kenward Vaughan wrote (shortened):
> > I have an old gwbasic program ...
> > ... and use dosemu, which does work well with the app.
> >
> > The only problem comes with some of the printouts, where I'd like to
> > either change the printer's font to 6 or 8 point ...
> > Is there a way to do this through /etc/printcap
> > My printer is an HP1200 laserjet.
>
> /etc/printcap is meaningless for print queue configuration in CUPS.
>
> I guess your gwbasic program produces plain text for printout
> and you may like to print it as is on your LasetJet 1200.
>
> Either use "Text Options" (see the CUPS Software Users Manual)
> to specify the "Number of Characters Per Inch" or the "Number of
> Lines Per Inch" in the print command and then you print using
> the full CUPS filtering system

This works.

> your gwbasic program produces printer specific data and then
> it must be printed in "raw" mode so that it is not processed
> and changed by the CUPS filtering system
> or
> you make your own filter script to print plain text as is
> but prepend a special printer specific escape sequece to change
> the font which the printer uses for plain text printing, see
> http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/06/jsmeix_print-cups-filters.html
>

> Kind Regards
> Johannes Meixner

Thanks, Johannes.  I was able to figure this out over the last day or
so, but I'm still interested in trying to convert the output to a
printable file--in that way I could send it to other people directly.

I have yet to find a way to do this.  :(  The filtering possibility may
be the route to go.

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,