[cups.general] IPP problem with Lexmark T620

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Apr 20 06:24:23 PDT 2006

Jukka Salmi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've run some tests with CUPS 1.1.23 and 1.2rc2 on a Lexmark T620
> PostScript printer (using the PPD referenced below) connected via
> ethernet.
>

> At first I configured CUPS to connect to the printer using IPP, with
> the following results:
>
> - With CUPS 1.1.23 almost everything worked fine, except that I wasn't
>   able to print plaintext files (I tried with `lptest | lpr'): CUPS
>   status (according to the log) was OK, but the printer didn't print
>   anything... Additionally, some (but not all) PDF files triggered a
>   PostScript error on the printer.

What is the error?

> - With CUPS 1.2rc2 I wasn't able to print anything, not even the CUPS
>   test page: the CUPS ipp daemon always received `bad-request' from the
>   printer. I tried printer firmware versions 54.30.06 and 54.30.55,
>   always with the same results.

Hmm, I just finished with a C522n we got at the office for testing;
IPP seems to work just fine for both PCL and PostScript printing on
that printer; the network card firmware shows up as "NP.NP.N212".

Do you have a different model Lexmark printer you can test with?

> I then reconfigured CUPS to connect to the printer using LPD:
>
> - With CUPS 1.1.23 everything worked fine; I was even able to print
>   the PDF files which failed when connected using IPP.
>
> - With CUPS 1.2rc2 I was able to print everything except PDF files:
>   CUPS status was OK, but nothing was printed...
>

> So, there seems to be a regression regarding IPP.
>
> And, hmm, what could be the reason why printing some PDF files failed
> when sent to IPP but succeeded when sent to LPD? Does CUPS really
> generate the same PostScript output? In case it does, this problem is
> probably a printer bug...

Yes, the output is independent of the backend, so this is likely a
PostScript bug in the printer.  It could also be an issue of the
configured PS binary protocol...