Can you make the first page print from a different tray?

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at research.uq.edu.au
Thu Aug 10 00:06:05 PDT 2006

> What was your complete lpadmin commandline? What exactly did you use
> in place of "foo"?

$ lpadmin -p ricoh1060 -o AP_FIRSTPAGE_InputSlot-default=1Tray

> What was your complete command for the actual printing?

I printed an MSWord document (all trays set to default/auto) through Samba.

> Did you use lp -d printername -o InputSlot=other-than-foo?

No, as it's only print jobs that originate from Windows machines that I'm interested in.  I just tried this:

$ ls /etc > test
$ lp -d ricoh1060 -o InputSlot=4Tray test

And the three page document came out entirely from "4Tray", just as the Windows print job did.

> Which PPD are you using for the printer?

The manufacturer supplied PPD for the machine, modified slightly to remove unused paper types and to rename the trays shown through the GUI so instead of "Tray 1" and "Tray 2" it says "Tray 1 (Letterhead)" and "Tray 2 (Plain A4)".

> Can you post the output of this command:
>    grep -C 2 \*DefaultInputSlot: /etc/cups/ppd/<yourprintername.ppd>

$ grep -C 2 \*DefaultInputSlot: /etc/cups/ppd/ricoh1060.ppd

*OpenUI *InputSlot: PickOne
*OrderDependency: 30 AnySetup *InputSlot
*DefaultInputSlot: 4Tray
*InputSlot MultiTray/Bypass Tray: "<</MediaPosition 0>> setpagedevice"
*InputSlot 1Tray/Tray 1 (Letterhead): "<</MediaPosition 1>> setpagedevice"

> Last, if your printer is a PostScript device, can you set up a print
> queue with the same PPD that prints to a file? Then print a not too
> large document, and let us investigate the output?

Hmmm...I keep getting a 'client error not possible' when trying to add the printer.  Doing through the web also gives the error when I use a file:/ URL.  I tried setting up a bogus LPD printer so I could grab the file out of /var/spool/cups, but it's the same as the source file, it hasn't been converted to PostScript.

Perhaps that's why it's not working?  I don't have GhostScript or anything set up, so the PS code is probably being generated on the Windows machine and CUPS isn't modifying it, it's just passing it straight through to the printer.  Would that make sense?

Thanks,
Adam.