Sharing Linux printer with Mac

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Sun Jan 22 17:28:07 PST 2006

Lee C wrote:
> P4 with Debian Etch (testing), kernel 2.6.12-1-686,
> Gnome desktop and USB attached printer and scanner
>
> PMac G5 running OS X Tiger (10.4.4)
>
> both connected to a Belkin 4 port router

That should be all you need. I haven't run OS-X on my Powerbook for
quite some time, but from memory, I didn't have to set anything special
up on the Mac. You just enable browsing on the linux server, and all
systems running CUPS should automatically see it.

Check your CUPS config file on the server and make sure you have
browsing turned on, ie:

Browsing On

Having said that, I did have trouble getting browsing working initially.
Others tell me it's supposed to be easy, but it didn't quite work
out-of-the-box for me. Try the above, and post back if you have trouble.

Dan