[cups.general] Zero Page Documents (DCTDecodeFilter Error)

Paul Ortman portman at goshen.edu
Wed Jan 25 12:30:12 PST 2006

I have a situation where certain print jobs from a OS X Tiger computer
get started to be sent to the printer but are prematurely truncated
because of a DCTDecodeFilter error.  I believe the relevant segment from
the CUPS error log is :

D [25/Jan/2006:13:27:36 -0500] [Job 7563] DATA: %%[ Error: ioerror;
OffendingCommand: image; ErrorInfo: DCTDecodeFilter A
D [25/Jan/2006:13:27:36 -0500] [Job 7563] DATA: C Huffman table: for
magnitude category 0, value must be 0 or 15 ]%%<0D>
D [25/Jan/2006:13:27:36 -0500] [Job 7563] DATA: <0A>%%[ Flushing: rest
of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%<0D>

The full log (at debug level) can be found in my webspace [1].

The original PDF as printed from the OSX box is available [2], as are
the jobs [3][4] as saved by turning on PreserveJobs in cupsd.conf.

Some versions:

OS X 10.4.4
CUPS: cups-1.1.23-r7 on a Gentoo box
I have hand compiled the pdftops filter for cups from the official
1.1.23 tarball instead of using the perl script that Gentoo uses.

I'm using Pykota for print accounting although that seems to work
without a hitch.

The behavior of the printer is to simply get some data but never kick
out a page, and thus the job gets recorded as a zero page job.

I guess I'm wondering if this is a bug or something else.  If there is
something else I can provide, please let me know.

This was originally uncovered when attempting to print from Safari, but
I was able to generate a PDF on the OSX box and attempting to print that
from Preview gave the same result as from Safari.  This seems to me to
be a problem with CUPS on the Linux box, but I'm not really sure where
to go next.

Thanks in advance for any light someone could shed on this problem.

[1]
http://www.goshen.edu/~portman/Zerooutput_bug/zerooutput_cups_error_log.txt
[2] http://www.goshen.edu/~portman/Zerooutput_bug/zero-output.pdf
[3] http://www.goshen.edu/~portman/Zerooutput_bug/c07563