cups not as a daemon or without ghostscript esp

Bernd Krumböck krumboeck at universalnet.at
Fri Jun 23 00:29:07 PDT 2006

Andreas Sumper wrote:

> Hi list!
>
> Is it possible to use CUPS without running it as a daemon? I heard, that
> this should work somehow, but I don´t know, how to use it!
>
> Another thing is, that I would like to use cups without ghostscript esp.
> Is there a possibility to compile cups with "internal" support?
>
> thanks in advance!
> Andy

Hello!

This should answer you first question (call cupsd -h):

Usage: cupsd [-c config-file] [-f] [-F] [-h] [-l]

-c config-file      Load alternate configuration file
-f                  Run in the foreground
-F                  Run in the foreground but detach
-h                  Show this usage message
-l                  Run cupsd from launchd(8)

You can run CUPS without ghostscript, as long your printer driver doesn't
depend on it. CUPS doesn't depend on ghostscript, but most printer drivers
do!

Check your PPD files.

example:
(file LaserJet_1200-Postscript.ppd.gz section *FoomaticRIPCommandLine)

*FoomaticRIPCommandLine: "level=%D; /usr/bin/printf "%%!\n%%%% %%&&
%%\n%C"; if [ $level -gt 0 ]; then if [ $level -lt 99 ]; then lev&&
el=" -dLanguageLevel=$level"; else level=""; fi; g&&
s -q -dPARANOIDSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pswrite$level%A%Z -sOu&&
tputFile=- -; else cat; fi"

It is not very easy to read but I hope you see following part of the command
line:
"...gs -q -dPARANOIDSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=psw..."

If a PPD File contains the gs command, then you need ghostscript.

best regards!
Bernd