[cups.general] system-config-printer?

Todd and Margo Chester ToddAndMargo at gbis.com
Sun Oct 22 17:03:39 PDT 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Todd and Margo Chester wrote:

>> It is a slick utility.  I set up four remote printer on HP 501x print
>> servers and shared
>> them to the network in less than three minutes.  Much easier to use than
>> the web utility that
>> comes with cups.  Everyone should have access to this utility, not just
>> Red Hat users.
>> (I had to use CUPS with the web admin on Friday: I nearly pulled my hair
>> out!)
>>

>> Idea, approach Red Hat on making it part of the CUPS distribution.
>> Anything
>> that makes cups easier to use is a good thing.  :-)
>>

> My own experience has been the opposite.  Perhaps a better approach
> would be to identify what, exactly, you like so much about the Red Hat
> GUI and then we can add that to the web interface.
>
> Nothing you have described so far isn't already possible with the
> standard CUPS 1.2 web interface, but then I'm guessing you are using
> the old CUPS 1.1.x web interface..

The version of CUPS web admin I used was the 1.2.5 version.
I had to revert back to 1.1.something or other to a printer
configured using system-config-printer.  CentOS 4.4
(same as RHEL 4.4) not particularly friendly to CUPS
upgrades.

You should give system-config-printer a spin.  You will
find the differences I list below.

1)  It loads faster
2)  I can see all the printers at a glance, no scrolling involved
3)  Double clicking on the printer brings up a window
with a list of tabs that I can go directly to to modify.
In other words, it is random access and not serial access.
I don't have to walk through a series of entries to change
the one I want.  (Try to change the port name from raw1 to raw2
and you will get my point.)
4) It has a lot more printers configured and it is a lot easier
to pick one out.  (random access.)
5) the screen doesn't refresh ever time you change some
thing
6) when you are on a tab, all of the information is showing
(no scrolling).  That random access thing again.

Ajax would go a long way in helping the web interface, but
it really needs to act in a random access manner.
NO SCROLLING through parameters.

The web interface is definitely usable, it just takes a lot
longer and you have to stream through entries to modify
anything.

It would be really cool if CUPS would add system-config-printer
to the project: this would give everyone access to it and
give everyone a choice of which to use.  I am of the
opinion that anything that makes CUPS easier to use is
a good thing.

-T