[cups.general] Call for Cannon PIXMA Drivers (ip3000)

Dave Sampson samper.d at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 18:32:40 PST 2007

To all parties with a vested interest in Canon Printer drivers,

All the individuals I listed to receive a CC of this message are parties
that have a direct vested interest in Canon printer drivers. For my
purpose, most specifically concerning the Pixma IP3000. The purpose of
this e-mail is an attempt to bring together many interested parties that
can contribute greatly to the need for Canon to support cross platform,
open standard, printer drivers for operating systems such as, but not
limited to Linux.

Those CC'ed include:

CUPS mailing List
GUTEN-PRINT mailing List
FREE STANADARS Cannon Printer users mailing list
Canon Canada

let me start by setting the co-operative tone and approach for my
intentions. Canon International has so rightly declared in their
procurement proces sthe following philosophy

"Canon strives to efficiently procure high-quality
merchandise that is environmentally sound for
the best price from anywhere in the world under
Philosophy-kyosei and working together-basis for
the common good.
(Source: http://www.canon.com/procurement/index.html)

Procurement of merchandise is an important component to man large
companies. I like how Canon wants to work together for the common good.
This should encourage all of us in the  pursuit of accessing the full
power of Canon technology independent of what platform we use.

For a more in depth exploration of the Canon vision and philosophy read
more... (http://www.canon.com/about/philosophy/index.html)

I applaud Canon Japan for their forward  movement in  providing RPM's
for many printers(ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/). I would
suggest this is a model for other branches of Canon to consider
supporting regional printers in their regional languages across many
platforms.

Furthermore, "True global companies must foster good relations, not only
with their customers and the communities in which they operate, but also
with nations and the environment." (source:
http://www.canon.com/about/philosophy/index.html)

whether these nations are real or digital, or the environments real or
cyber, a small issue like printer drivers will succeed through the
development of relationships between Cannon and the other parties with
vested interests in printer driver technology.

As for working together, the various open source communities striving to
support Canon printers shows a dedication and need for continued
support. By working together these communities have made great leaps and
bounds. With some additional resources and direction they can continue
their efforts. This is somewhere that Canon may be able to allow these
communities to continue supporting the products that Canon sells to
consumers like myself by providing some technical details without
infringing their proprietary edge.

I intend to continue a dialog with Canon Canada to help them help
support my needs as an owner that has chosen a Canon product.

If you are also an owner of a  Canon product I encourage you to contact
you regional office of Canon and request full support for your product
under the operating system of your choice. Find your regional office
here (http://www.canon.com/)

I feel that for this issue to be fully addressed the force will need to
come within Canon, as ideas seem to develop from within
(http://www.canon.com/feedback/proposal.html). The drive behind the
generation of this force, will however come from outside, from the
users, developers and consumers of their products.  This is why I feel
that everyone that has vested interest should contact their egional
offices to demonstrate the volume of requests and the need for support.

I encourage you to make available links to the Canon website through
your correspondence.

Bellow I have included a Querry to Canon Canada  I made and their
response. The reference number for the bellow document is 061230-000070.
Although the status is listed as solved, I propose that it remains open
while we work towards a driver solution

Thanks everyone for your time.

Cheers

=================
Response (Canon Staff) 	01/02/2007 03:12 PM
Dear  Dave Sampson

Thank you for your E-mail inquiry regarding the Canon PIXMA iP3000.

We regret to inform you that we do not have any drivers for Linux. We
recommend that you visit Linux web site to locate driver for your iP3000.

We have forwarded your concerns with respect to linux drivers, to the
appropriate department for their information and investigation.  Please
be assured that Canon strives to market our products in the most ethical
and professional business manner, and we apologize for any inconvenience
this situation may have caused you.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to relay your concerns to us.
 It is only through our customer's comments that we are able to provide
quality products and service.

Should you require further assistance, please feel free to email us or
visit our customer support website at http://www.canon.ca

 Customer (Dave Sampson) 	12/30/2006 07:13 PM
Hello,

I have a cannon pixma ip3000 and I am a Linux user.

I have been doing lost of research and have found that the pixma ip3000
printer is poorly supported for linux users. I am hoping that Cannon can
fill this hole. I was using both windows and linux in the past, but have
decided to make the full switch to linux for many reasons including
ample graphics support and interoperability.

So far I am using CUPS Drivers from the foomatic driver list and am
using the BJ7000 driver. This is unsatifactory though as I am unable to
us the lower tray OR use full duplex printing. both good reasons why I
purchased the printer. but now those features are not included.

>From the Japanese canon site I was very impressed to see RPM packages
for some printers including the Ip3100 that uses the lower tray but
reviews say that it does a poor job of rendering colors giving
everything a red tinge. As a hobby photographer I can't seel greeting
cards and photos with a red cast caused by the printer.

Furthermore the 560i printer driver was recomended as it renders colors
accurately, howvere duplex printing and the use of the bottom tray are
again lost.

Could you please let me know how I can get full use of my cannon product
under the linux operating system with native linux drivers?

here are some people that would love your help with releasing more
cannon drivers.

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-PIXMA_iP3000

http://www.freestandards.org/en/OpenPrinting

http://sourceforge.net/projects/foomatic/

http://www.cups.org/

Thanks for your enthusiam in helping me print my pictures.

Cheers