Network printer: remote jobs hang,print if requeued locally

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Tue Jun 26 01:33:18 PDT 2007

> Hello,
>
> a clarification:
>
> > > ... printing
> > > from Windows client machines using the Windows printer driver
> > > doesn't work (because somehow the CUPS "auto-typing" didn't
> > > always result "raw"-printing
> > > ... as far as I know usually a Windows printer driver is used
> > > when printing from Windows and then "raw" is correct.
>
> With "Windows printer driver" I meant that the Windows client has
> the native print driver for the target printer installed.
>
> With >>CUPS "auto-typing" didn't always result "raw"-printing<<
> I meant that CUPS "auto-typing" didn't always result "raw"-printing
> when the Windows client has the native print driver for the target
> printer installed.
>
> > Raw printing is only feasible if the Windows client has the native
> > print driver for the target printer installed (PostScript or not),
>
> Yes.
>

> The question is, what happens more often "out there at usual users":
> Using the native print driver for the target printer on the Windows
> client or anything else?

Well, AFAIR, all the 'authoritative' documentation sources do advice to enable raw printing by setting it up in mime.{convs,tpyes}: by removing the comment signs in the last lines. (

(And by 'authoritative' I do not mean, and specifically exclude, all these random websites as well as distro support sites which do not even know about CUPS browsing and advice users to use device URIs on clients like "ipp://cupsserver/printers/printername"...)

Cheers,
Kurt

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant --- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS