[cups.general] Keep printer device info

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Nov 27 06:01:13 PST 2007

Hello,

On Nov 24 08:03 Michael Sweet wrote (shortened):
> Johannes Meixner wrote:
> >   The printing system should keep printer device info.
>      http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2531

Great!

> FWIW, the important information is the device serial number and/or
> MAC address, which uniquely identifies it to the system.

Of course but also the model name is important so that the
user has something which he understands directly.

> Actual usage of this information will likely happen outside CUPS,

Yes.
My main intention is to be able to implement a printer setup tool
based upon the real printer (instead of the print queue).

Perhaps even the end-user print dialog could/should be based
upon the real printers e.g. to show multiple queues for the
same printer in a better way?

I assume that the current device IDs in the printers are often
not really the same for different interfaces of the same model.
E.g. a model may report a bit differnt stuff on parellel port,
USB, and network so that the same model could appear as multiple
different devices on parellel port, USB, and network but I think
that broken device IDs in some printers are no reason not to support
printer device info at all.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex