Problem with raw printers and large jobs

Jack jax at nwmt.us
Sat Apr 11 13:52:49 PDT 2009

We have a network filled with WinXP clients and 2k3 servers.  Our printing has been converted from 2k3 to Linux/CUPS.  So far, so good.  Since i didn't want to affect the printjobs at all, I kept Windows in charge of the rendering of the jobs with all raw printing, and the drivers loaded windows side.  Works fine - with one exception.

Exception:
   when a large job is sent to the printer, the job will restart too many times.
I'm not sure the problem here, I've increase the wait timeouts, etc.  The job only needs to be in the 300-400 page range, and problems will ensue.

What is going on is that the printer will run out of paper, and cups will wait a certain amount of time, and if the person doesn't get the tray reloaded, it'll restart the job, wasting all that time/paper again.  This happens a lot right now because people will print the end of month reports (required we do this to paper) at the end of their shift, go home, and expect to have to reload the tray again tomorrow, and it'll take off where it left off.  Unfortunately, that's not how it works, and it starts reprinting the job in it's entirety again.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
I cannot use the cups drivers for the printer, I have to keep the RAW/RAW drivers because priting through cups using native drivers makes the fonts and sizing totally different; not good for forms.

thanks much!
Jack