CUPS + Samba Unable to set device

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Thu Apr 16 02:14:56 PDT 2009

John Doe wrote:

>> > Hello,
>> > i try to set my cups (v. 1.3.9) to work with samba priner and i receive
>> > that error in error log:
>> >
> ---
>> > I use ghostscript version 8.64
>> >
>> > Can some one point me any hints ? and if this message is not for here
>> > (cups) for which mailling list i should post it.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>>
>> Are you sure the hpijs program exists and can be reached by the path
>> accessible to your Ghostscript?
>> The message "unable to open the initial device"
>>

>>          tells you that either - Ghostscript has not been compiled with
>> the ijs device,or - the hpijs program cannot be launched, or - the hpijs
>> program dies because of invalid options
>>   (but in that case it should throw an error message).
>>
>> Helge
>
> Yes they exists and can be reached:
>
> $which hpijs
> /usr/bin/hpijs
> $ls -la /usr/bin/hpijs
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 518072 2009-03-17 04:05 /usr/bin/hpijs*
> $which gs
> /usr/bin/gs
> $ls -la /usr/bin/gs
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6112880 2009-02-04 22:43 /usr/bin/gs
>
> The GS is compiled with --with-ijs
>
> My experience is not good with a printings, how i can start from console
> this command to check if will work or not:
>
> Starting renderer with command: "gs -sstdout=%stderr  -dBATCH
> -dPARANOIDSAFER -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=ijs -sIjs Server=hpijs
> -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=612 -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=792
> -sDeviceManufacturer="HEWLETT-PACKARD" -sDeviceModel ="HP LaserJet 1018"
> -r600
> -sIjsParams=Quality:Quality=0,Quality:ColorMode=0,Quality:PenSet=0,PS:MediaPosition=7
> -d IjsUseOutputFD -sOutputFile=%stdout -_" Starting process "kid3"
> (generation 1)
>
> Closing renderer
> Starting process "kid4" (generation 2)
> JCL: 12345X at PJL
> <job data>
>
> Starting process "renderer" (generation 2)
> unable to set device=HP LaserJet 1018, err=48
> unable to set device=HP LaserJet 1018, err=48
> **** Unable to open the initial device, quitting.
> unable to read client data err=-2
> renderer exited with status 1
> Possible error on renderer command line or PostScript error. Check
> options.kid3 exited with status 3 Process is dying with "Error closing
> renderer ", exit stat 3
> Cleaning up...
>
> Condor

Rereading your first post, I see that your printer is set up as a "samba
printer" (presumably via smbspool). I suspect that hpijs needs a two
way connection to the printer, which smbspool does not provide (I'm
not completely sure about this, as I never used hpijs in practice until
now). If my suspicion is correct, I gues you are lost.

Helge