[cups.general] How to create PS-to-file queue in CUPS 1.4, OS X 10.6

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Sep 11 11:22:56 PDT 2009

On Sep 11, 2009, at 12:51 AM, Ben BW wrote:
>> Michael Sweet wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, we've been asking Adobe not to do what they are doing for many
>> years now...
>
> Is your problem with the print queue itself, or how they implement it?

The latter - writing directly to a user's home directory is a
generally broken notion for CUPS, since the printing user may be on
another system and may not even be the same as the local user (e.g.
"mike" on one system isn't necessarily the same as "mike" on another
system...)

On Mac OS X, things like FileVault (encrypted home directories) make
things even more interesting, since the user's home directory may not
even be mounted.

Using a separate holding directory, or having the backend send the
final file back to the user via a launch agent (again, a Mac OS X
thing - xinetd provides similar functionality on Linux) so that the
file ends up in the right place.