CUPS 1.4.3 && printing UTF-8 text

rebelde guru at unixarea.de
Tue Aug 3 05:26:40 PDT 2010

Helge Blischke wrote:

> I've just downloaded FSF's FreeFont family and looked at FreeMono. I
> converted the outline version (.sfd) to a type1 font (using fontforge) and
> looked into that font.
> It seems that it contains most of the scripts you need (short of CJK, I
> think). This font might be a replacement for the Monospace which comes
> with CUPS.
>
> Helge

Helge,

Thanks for your help.

I've fetched the file freefont-sfd-20090104.tar.gz (is this waht you have
used, or something else or newer) and used 'fontforge' to generate the
files:

FreeMonoBold.pfa
FreeMonoBold.afm
FreeMono.pfa
FreeMono.afm
FreeMonoBoldOblique.pfa
FreeMonoBoldOblique.afm
FreeMonoOblique.pfa
FreeMonoOblique.afm

after copying them onto the CUPS font dir the following scripts are not
printed (at least):

Greek
Arabic
Bengali
CJK

Could you please send me your *.pfa files?
Thanks in advance

    matthias