[cups.general] Enable Browsing on OS X

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Thu Feb 4 11:44:32 PST 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:

> cupsctl BrowseRemoteProtocols=3DCUPS
>
> But, OS X is still not listing the shared printers.  Details of my config
> below.
>
> You won't see the printers automatically in the print dialog in Snow
> Leopard. Instead you have to "add" the printers (which really just makes
> them visible) - just look for the "CUPS Shared" printers in the list of
> available printers in the Add Printer window.

Is there a way at the command line to see what it has detected by browsing?

I don't see any "CUPS Shared printers".  This is just Leopard (10.5.8), not
Snow Leopard so maybe the difference in the interface.

Add Printer leads to the Print & Fax add printers dialog with "Default Fax
IP Windows Bluetooth AppleTalk More Printers" listed at the top.

If I click on "IP" and select "Protocol: Internet Printing Protocol - IPP"
and enter the hostname of the spooler (bumby2) no printers are shown.  Well,
on the bottom half of that dialog is shows:

Name: bumby2
Location:
Print Using: Generic PostScript Printer

But, that's a bit confusing because I was expecting to see two printers
listed as that's what bumby2 shares.

But, if I click on that "Default" icon in the upper left I now see my two
printers listed as "Bonjour", so that's progress on that approach.

If I have multiple users sharing these printers isn't it best to send print
jobs to the spooler instead of directly to the printers?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org