One cups-server, 2 networks,specific printers visible in specific networks.

Andreas Bogacki Andreas at Bogacki.org
Fri Feb 19 16:45:47 PST 2010

> On Feb 19, 2010, at 2:56 PM, Andreas Bogacki wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >=20
> > I have a quick question on how to get the following setup working.
> > I have one cups server which is connected to multiple networks (net-a =
> and net-b).
> > I have multiple printers (printer-a and printer-b) configured on that =
> server.
> > Now I want to be able to browse the server from both networks and only =
> see printer-a in net-a and printer-b in net-b.
> > Is there a sollution for this right now? If not, is something like =
> that planned for future releases.
>
> Not for a single server.  Basically we've looked at implementing =
> selective advertising but there are too many edge cases and too many =
> changes we'd have to do at lower levels (in LDAP, SLP, Bonjour, etc.) to =
> support it.
>
> What you can do, however, is run multiple cupsd instances, with one =
> cupsd handling net-a and the other handling net-b.  The clients would =
> need no special configuration for this, just the server.

Thanks for the quick answer.
Running multiple instances is simple for this example.
As soon as you have more networks and printers need to be visible in several of them it gets really messy with multiple instances.
Example:
printer-a visible in net-a and net-b
printer-b visible in net-b and net-c

This would lead to 3 instances with printers getting jobs from 2 instances at the same time.
Even worse for more complex setups.
Are there any problems to be expected when I have one printer getting print jobs from multiple cups instances/servers at the same time? (thinking about 5 instances/servers hitting the printer with 20 larger jobs each. Would it not be quite random which job gets printed at what time?)

I wish there was a clean solution for that.

cheers
Andreas