Ubuntu 11.10/BrotherHL2240D/ printer does not print any more

Rainer Wolf benutzerregistrierung at arcor.de
Wed Dec 28 18:41:18 PST 2011

> Rainer Wolf wrote:

> >> Please post (an URL to) the error_log (switch CUPS to debug logging using
> >> the coimmand
> >> cupsctl --debug-logging
> >> and post all of your mime files (the *.types and *.confs fioes).
> >>
> >> I suspect the Ubuntu folks habe significantly changed the filter chains
> >> in CUPS.
> >>
> >> Helge
> >>

> > Hi Helge,
> >
> > here is my message reply :=
> > http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?s23937+gcups.general+v23938+T1 here is
> > my error_log :=
> >
> http://home.arcor.de/os2five/forum/openSUSE121_CUPS150_brotherDCP585CW_error_log
> >
> > i hope you find a solution!
>
> The wiki
>
> http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Brother/Drucker
>
> tells to install the brother printer using the brother installation tools
> after setting up cups.
>
> Moreover, I suspect that the brlpdwrapperxxxxxx filter(s) expect a
> PostScript file as input (they use the original print file, i. e. the
> dxxxxx-001 file in /var/spool/cups). But the testpage file in CUPS 1.5 is a
> cups-command file, and I suspect the brother filter(s) don't know what to do
> with it.
>
> For further investigation, please post the brlpdwrapperdcp585cw filter and
> the respective filter in /usr/local/Brother/lpd/filter/ .
>
> Helge
>
> P.S.: openprinting.org tags this printer as a "paperweight".

Oh mist, ich hätte es gern einfacher. einfach so. only simple!

ok. first of all: wrong link for my older message replay. Sry. Correct is http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?s23928+gcups.general+v23940+T1

and that's the message in words:
same here:  openSUSE 12.1, CUPS 1.5, Brother DCP-585CW.
access_log: "POST /printers/DCP585CW HTTP/1.1" 200 449 Print-Job successful-ok
error_log:  Unable to open print file: No such file or directory

DCP-585CW-Scanner works fine
DCP-585CW-Scanner and Printer works fine with Windows 7

DCP-585CW-Scanner and Printer works fine before with openSUSE 11.3, CUPS 1.4

@Helge: your P.S. „openprinting.org tags this printer as a "paperweight".“ … Ey, come on, sorry, that's nonsenses. Because: openSUSE 11.3 with cups 1.4.1 and me (and the rest of the family  too) works more then fine as paperweight. Paperweight for DCP-585CW) is (today) realy nonsense.

ok. now the facts:
openSUSE install 12.1 (default with cups 1.5.#)
BrotherDriverInstallInstruction:  http://sites.google.com/site/moosyresearch/dcp585cw
that's the same way I did it befor (openSUSE 11.3 cups 1.4.#)

Your question: Actually there is no folder /usr/local/Brother/lpd/filter available.
Real folders are
/usr/local/Brother/Printer
/usr/local/Brother/sane
nothing more

The brlpdwrapperdcp585cw filter is found at: usr_lib_cups_filter_brlpdwrapperdcp585cw.ppd
ok. and now?