Ubuntu 11.10/BrotherHL2240D/ printer does not print any more

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Thu Dec 29 12:30:20 PST 2011

http://home.arcor.de/os2five/forum/openSUSE121_CUPS150_brotherDCP585CW_error_log

>> > i hope you find a solution!
>>
>> The wiki
>>
>> http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Brother/Drucker
>>
>> tells to install the brother printer using the brother installation tools
>> after setting up cups.
>>
>> Moreover, I suspect that the brlpdwrapperxxxxxx filter(s) expect a
>> PostScript file as input (they use the original print file, i. e. the
>> dxxxxx-001 file in /var/spool/cups). But the testpage file in CUPS 1.5 is
>> a cups-command file, and I suspect the brother filter(s) don't know what
>> to do with it.
>>
>> For further investigation, please post the brlpdwrapperdcp585cw filter
>> and the respective filter in /usr/local/Brother/lpd/filter/ .
>>
>> Helge
>>
>> P.S.: openprinting.org tags this printer as a "paperweight".
>>
> Oh mist, ich hätte es gern einfacher. einfach so. only simple!
>
> ok. first of all: wrong link for my older message replay. Sry. Correct is
> http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?s23928+gcups.general+v23940+T1
>
> and that's the message in words:
> same here:  openSUSE 12.1, CUPS 1.5, Brother DCP-585CW.
> access_log: "POST /printers/DCP585CW HTTP/1.1" 200 449 Print-Job
> successful-ok error_log:  Unable to open print file: No such file or
> directory
>
> DCP-585CW-Scanner works fine
> DCP-585CW-Scanner and Printer works fine with Windows 7
>
> DCP-585CW-Scanner and Printer works fine before with openSUSE 11.3, CUPS
> 1.4
>
> @Helge: your P.S. „openprinting.org tags this printer as a "paperweight".“
> … Ey, come on, sorry, that's nonsenses. Because: openSUSE 11.3 with cups
> 1.4.1 and me (and the rest of the family  too) works more then fine as
> paperweight. Paperweight for DCP-585CW) is (today) realy nonsense.
>
> ok. now the facts:
> openSUSE install 12.1 (default with cups 1.5.#)
> BrotherDriverInstallInstruction:
> http://sites.google.com/site/moosyresearch/dcp585cw that's the same way I
> did it befor (openSUSE 11.3 cups 1.4.#)
>
> Your question: Actually there is no folder /usr/local/Brother/lpd/filter
> available. Real folders are
> /usr/local/Brother/Printer
> /usr/local/Brother/sane
> nothing more
>
> The brlpdwrapperdcp585cw filter is found at:
> usr_lib_cups_filter_brlpdwrapperdcp585cw.ppd ok. and now?

Rainer,

having come across a similar message regarding Ubuntu 11.10, though
referring to another type of printer (an HP laserjet 1200 in this case), I
suspect that the issue is due to the USB implementation in Ubuntu 11.10.

The only means to check this seems to set up a CUPS 1.4.x installed from the
sources (and in a different directory tree) and see if the USB backend(s)
from CUPS 1.4.x behave differently in Ubuntu 11.10.

The error log you pointed to reveals nothing unusual, the job is logged as
prcessed normally.

Helge

P.S.: as for the "paperweight", I just cited what the openprinting.org
printer's database told about this printer.
Interesting enough, the day after my citation the openprinting web site
apparently went offline - is there a hidden connection????