local printer and client.conf

Ivan Degtyarenko ivan.degtyarenko at aalto.fi
Tue Feb 1 01:52:10 PST 2011

I've tried to mix the remote printing through client.conf and a local printer. But no luck, looks like as soon as ServerName is set in client.conf, local printers at printers.conf are not visible anymore.

Is there a way change the behavior so that CUPs would pick up both remote printers and the local ones?

Background: on our Linux stations we use client.conf and all the jobs go through the remote server. But also have a few workers with their own USB connected printers. Though we still would like to provide them with the access to the central ones through the remote server. Yes, it is always possible to configure everythign locally for every single workstations with the local USB printer, but any chance to avoid it?

YT, Ivan