[cups.general] Dell 1230c using Generic GDI driver

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu May 26 00:09:58 PDT 2011

Hello,

On May 25 07:41 Andres Cimmarusti wrote (excerpt):
> I have been trying to find a driver for the Dell 1230c printer for
> Linux without any success. I found this list, compiled by IBM,
> of several printers showing their corresponding printer data stream:
> https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas17997c91965ada7fc86256d43005680a0
>
> With this information at hand, I selected: Generic GDI Printer Foomatic/gdi

There is no such thing as a "Generic GDI Printer".
The name of the driver entry "Generic GDI Printer Foomatic/gdi" is misleading.

You would need an exact matching driver for the particular proprietary
"printer language" which your particular GDI printer model "understands".

Have a look at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:GDI_Printers

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner