How to print through Windows 7 client via ipp

Volker Lenhardt volker.lenhardt at uni-due.de
Thu Apr 12 03:40:18 PDT 2012

> I have ubuntu 11.10 32 bit installed on my machine, USB printer is attached to it (Samsung ML-1670). I have cups running and I can print fine from that Ubuntu machine however I also have another PC connected via LAN, that machine has Windows 7  64 bit installed and samsung universal print driver installed. I want to share the printer through IPP so I have added the printer in Windows 7 successfully, but whenever I try to print it the print goes and nothing ever happens, except the first time where printer just rolls but prints nothing.
> I have also shared the printer via cups admin page and added the windows user to be able to print list. What am I doing wrong I cannot find a simple answer on google either! please help.
>
> Thanks,
> kapz

What about your firewall? In my system there is a desktop (openSUSE) connected via Ethernet to the router and other computers (Windows 7 and openSUSE) via WLAN. My printers are attached to the desktop. In this environment I need to allow the IP protocols cups and ipp (TCP and UDP ports 631) in the external zone of the firewall on the desktop.

Hope that helps.

Volker