CUPS prints PDF's as white page on Brother printer

Walter Hop cups at spam.lifeforms.nl
Fri Apr 13 08:48:39 PDT 2012

Hi everybody!

I hate to post questions just out of the blue, but I'm having bad luck
with CUPS. :')

I just got a Brother HL-5380DN network printer that I added to CUPS
following Brother's own CUPS instructions, which were nothing out of
the ordinary
(http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/instruction_prn1c.html)

Unfortunately, when I print a pdf using CUPS, I am getting only a
single white page!

Printing a text file seems to go fine, the CUPS self-test page from
the administration web interface also works great.

I tried the following:
- use either lpd or IPP over HTTP
- try the ppd from openprinting.org (exactly the same as the
vendor-supplied ppd)
- try generic Postscript driver (DOES print a pdf, but the margins are
off, and I cannot pick a tray)
- print some 'known good' PDF files from documentation (in case my PDF
might have been corrupt) - same result

Does anyone have an ideas for further debugging this problem?
I've used other printers on the same system with no trouble.

Printer: Brother HL-5380DN
System: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p3, using CUPS 1.5.2 (also tried 1.5.0),
cups-pstoraster 8.15.4_6.

Some debug logs are at http://u.lfms.nl/cups_debug_logs.txt for those
who are interested (my newsreader screwed up the layout...)

Any tips welcome :)

Kind regards,
WH