CUPS 1.4.7 IPP Compliance Test failure

Jerry Fowler jfowler at cerner.com
Mon Aug 13 10:26:10 PDT 2012

This is also cross-posted on the cups.bugs forum.

I have been working to get this older version working on multiple internal machines.  So far I have been successful with HP-UX (11.31), but I am running into a regression test failure on AIX platform which I am not sure how to troubleshoot.  I am getting the following failures in the regression test:

Setting up environment variables for test...
Starting scheduler:
     ../scheduler/cupsd -c /tmp/cups-d_solbld/cupsd.conf -f >/tmp/cups-d_solbld/log/debug_log 2>&1 &

Scheduler is PID 4784298.

Running IPP compliance tests...
Performing 4.1-requests.test...
"4.1-requests.test":
Unexpected token attributes-natural-language seen on line 4 - aborting test!
Performing 4.2-cups-printer-ops.test...
ipptest: Unexpected token e seen on line 3 - aborting test!
"4.2-cups-printer-ops.test":
Performing 4.3-job-ops.test...
ipptest: Unexpected token e seen on line 3 - aborting test!
"4.3-job-ops.test":
Performing 4.4-subscription-ops.test...
ipptest: Unexpected token e seen on line 3 - aborting test!
"4.4-subscription-ops.test":

Running command tests...
Performing 5.1-lpadmin.sh...

How do I go about troubleshooting this?

My platform is AIX 6.1 with the XL C/C++ Compiler.  This happens on both version 10.1 and 11.1 of the previously mentioned compiler.

It appears that the get_token function in ipptest.c is not recognizing the entire comment statement.  I have placed some printf statements in the get_token function in order to track what is happening.

The first 10 lines of 4.1-requests.test are as follows (with line numbers):

     1  #
     2  # "$Id: 4.1-requests.test 8235 2009-01-13 00:55:16Z mike $"
     3  #
     4  #   Verify that the server requires the following attributes:
     5  #
     6  #       attributes-charset
     7  #       attributes-natural-language
     8  #       printer-uri/job-uri
     9  #
    10  {

Even though the message from the test indicates:

"4.1-requests.test":
Unexpected token attributes-natural-language seen on line 4 - aborting test!

I suspect that there is some bug in this function for the AIX platform at least that is causing it not to recognize line 7 as a comment and storing the "attributes-natural-language" at the first part of token buffer and causing the get_token function to throw it out as the first character of token is programmaticallyt required be a left brace.

Does that make sense?

Has this issue been observed before?