[cups.general] lpstat -v , very slow with over 1200 printers , local printer list

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Mar 2 08:03:55 PST 2012

Johannes,

On Mar 2, 2012, at 1:55 AM, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Some time ago I solved a customer issue with "slow CUPS"
> which was caused not by many print queues but by zillions
> of job-control files for completed print jobs which cups
> keeps in /var/spool/cups/c-<job-number> files and reads
> into main memory.

FWIW, the MaxJobs setting has been 500 for a long long time now; we haven't seen the "too much job history" problem in a while, and recent (>= 1.4) CUPS unloads the job history from memory when unused to help minimize total memory usage.  And while we *do* have a bug tracking some performance improvements in this area (STR #2913) that would not affect listing of printers which are always in memory and do not require loading of job history data.