[cups.general] lpstat -v , very slow with over 1200 printers , local printer list

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Mar 6 03:27:01 PST 2012

Hello,

On Mar 2 10:55 Johannes Meixner wrote (excerpt):
> On Mar 1 00:50 Matt Garrett wrote (excerpt):
>> lpstat -v , very slow with over 1200 printers , local printer list
>> Been using CUPS for years and works very well but over the last 6 months
>> our CUPS server has grown from about 400 printers to 1200+
> See "MaxJobs" in
> http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.5/ref-cupsd-conf.html
> The MaxJobs directive controls the maximum number of jobs that
> are kept in memory. Once the number of jobs reaches the limit,
> the oldest completed job is automatically purged
> The default setting is 500.
>
> I.e. in your case the number of jobs that are kept in memory has grown
> from about 400 * 500 = 200000 to more than 1200 * 500 = 600000.
> Perhaps in your case more than 600000 jobs kept in memory is too much?

My calculation is wrong because I confused MaxJobs with MaxJobsPerPrinter.

In your case (1200 print queues) the MaxJobs default of 500 jobs
could be too low because new jobs will be rejected if 500 jobs
are still pending or active (so that you cannot print simultaneously
on all your 1200 print queues).

Therefore you might have set "MaxJobs 0" but then the MaxJobsPerPrinter
default setting (MaxJobsPerPrinter 0) results that the number of jobs
that are kept in memory can grow unlimited.

At least this is how I understand the documentation.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner