Limit sharing of printer to certain IPs

Lars Behrens lars.behrens at pi.uka.de
Wed Jan 9 02:30:10 PST 2013

> You cannot do this with a single CUPS server (at least not
> with traditional CUPS Browsing up to CUPS <= 1.5), see
> "Configuring CUPS <= 1.5 in the Network" at
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
>
> I think - if I remember correctly - it might be possible
> to limit which queues are visible by which users.
> I think that only those queues are visible by those users
> who are allowed to print to it via the lpadmin parameters
> "-u allow:user,user, at group" and "-u deny:user,user, at group".
> In this case it might work to set up the remote queues
> on the CUPS server so that e.g. only the users who work on
> the 1st floor are allowed to print to the queues for 1st floor
> so that as a consequence the queues for 1st floor are only
> visible by those users who work on the 1st floor.
> But I have not tested if and/or to what extent this works.

Thx for your reply. The user/group limiting doesn't help here because users can log on to any client no matter which floor, that's why I wanted the IPs as a criterion.

So it looks like I have to face it and hope that my users are clever enough to see the location entry when trying to print.

Cheerz,
LFB