[cups] Windows bypasses cups drivers

Alex Korobkin korobkin+cups at gmail.com
Mon May 19 07:09:02 PDT 2014

Maarten,
It is unclear if you uploaded printer-specific driver to the client or to
the server.

If you uploaded manufacturer-provided Windows drivers to the printserver as
explained here
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_as_a_print_server#Uploading_printer_drivers_for_Point.27n.27Print_driver_installation
you can set the default settings to grayscale printing (Advanced > Printing
defaults), and every new client will have that set by default.

> Hello all,
>
> I'm currently trying to enforce grayscale printing at the company I work
> at through cups. I have added the printer (sharp mx2600n) to the cups
> server using the ppd file and on the web interface i set the color mode to
> black & white.
>
> When i print from the cups server(CentOS 6.5) it does use the grayscale
> and when i add the printer in Windows using generic postscript drivers it
> also enforces the grayscale correctly. But the problem is that the generic
> PS drivers does not support duplex printing.  When i add the printer to
> Windows using printer specific PS driver, the settings configured on the
> server are completely ignored and prints are being made in full color.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance and kind regards,
> Maarten

-Alex