[cups] [Brother MFC-8480DN] Printing Slow

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed May 28 04:47:34 PDT 2014

At Wed, 28 May 2014 11:17:08 +0200 "The CUPS user discussion list." <cups at cups.org> wrote:

> Hi Emiliano,
>
> thanks for the data.
> The log files show that the processing time within CUPS is about 2 to
> 5 seconds
> up to the beginning of the data transfer to the printer.
> The delay obviously is due to the slow data transfer speed to the
> printer:
> Â-	Job 80:	  7.2 M	about 2 min
> Â-	Job 81:	36.6 M	about 16 min.
> As the printer Â- regarding to Brother's web site
> (www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDetail/4/mfc8480dn/spec)
> supports other protocols than LPD, such as IPP, socket, FTP etc.,
> I'd suggest to try changing the device_uri from LPD to IPP or socket
> and then try again Â- or is the connection to the printer a very slow
> line
> by hardware?

Question: Is this a *wired* or *wireless* connection?  If *wireless*, how far
is the printer from wireless access point? What is between the printer and
wireless access point (walls [metal studs?, steel rebar, etc.]], metal
cabinates, etc.).  There are many things that can slow a *wireless* connection
down.  Or maybe you have a really busy network.  Or a very low end network
switch.  (Or maybe you are using a hub?).