[cups] PDF workflow with old server?

Johan Bengtsson elijah at chalmers.se
Thu Apr 16 01:22:54 PDT 2015

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015, Helge Blischke wrote:

> I’ll send you the attachments off the list (as the list handler strips off attachments):
> pdftops						Perl script (needed at least Perl 5.8.3)
> 			to be put into /usr/lib/cups/filter
> pdftops.conf					configuration file, needed for the xpdf utility from footballs.com
> 			to be put into /etc/cups (the Perl scripts reads it from there)
>
> The configuration file can be empty if you use the pdftops utility from poppler-utils.

OK, I tried now, printing is fast enough. But unfortunately tray selection is
ignored.

Some info: xpdf was already installed:

[root at vmtest002 log]# /usr/bin/pdftops -h
pdftops version 3.00
Copyright 1996-2004 Glyph & Cog, LLC
Usage: pdftops [options] <PDF-file> [<PS-file>]
   -f <int>            : first page to print
   -l <int>            : last page to print
   -level1             : generate Level 1 PostScript
   -level1sep          : generate Level 1 separable PostScript
   -level2             : generate Level 2 PostScript
   -level2sep          : generate Level 2 separable PostScript
   -level3             : generate Level 3 PostScript
   -level3sep          : generate Level 3 separable PostScript
   -eps                : generate Encapsulated PostScript (EPS)
   -form               : generate a PostScript form
   -opi                : generate OPI comments
   -noembt1            : don't embed Type 1 fonts
   -noembtt            : don't embed TrueType fonts
   -noembcidps         : don't embed CID PostScript fonts
   -noembcidtt         : don't embed CID TrueType fonts
   -paper <string>     : paper size (letter, legal, A4, A3, match)
   -paperw <int>       : paper width, in points
   -paperh <int>       : paper height, in points
   -nocrop             : don't crop pages to CropBox
   -expand             : expand pages smaller than the paper size
   -noshrink           : don't shrink pages larger than the paper size
   -nocenter           : don't center pages smaller than the paper size
   -duplex             : enable duplex printing
   -opw <string>       : owner password (for encrypted files)
   -upw <string>       : user password (for encrypted files)
   -q                  : don't print any messages or errors
   -cfg <string>       : configuration file to use in place of .xpdfrc
   -v                  : print copyright and version info
   -h                  : print usage information
   -help               : print usage information
   --help              : print usage information
   -?                  : print usage information

sh-3.2$ /usr/sbin/cupsfilter  -m printer/aos-sv-305-color1 -p
/etc/cups/ppd/aos-sv-305-color1.ppd test.pdf  | more
DEBUG: argv[0]="cupsfilter"
DEBUG: argv[1]="1"
DEBUG: argv[2]="lp"
DEBUG: argv[3]="test.pdf"
DEBUG: argv[4]="1"
DEBUG: argv[5]=""
DEBUG: argv[6]="test.pdf"
DEBUG: envp[0]="<CFProcessPath>"
DEBUG: envp[1]="CONTENT_TYPE=application/pdf"
DEBUG: envp[2]="CUPS_DATADIR=/usr/share/cups"
DEBUG: envp[3]="CUPS_FONTPATH=/usr/share/cups/fonts"
DEBUG: envp[4]="CUPS_SERVERBIN=/usr/lib/cups"
DEBUG: envp[5]="CUPS_SERVERROOT=/etc/cups"
DEBUG: envp[6]="LANG=en_US.UTF8"
DEBUG: envp[7]="PATH=/usr/lib/cups/filter:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin"
DEBUG: envp[8]="PPD=/etc/cups/ppd/aos-sv-305-color1.ppd"
DEBUG: envp[9]="RIP_MAX_CACHE=8m"
DEBUG: envp[10]="USER=lp"
INFO: pdftops (PID 31092) started.
NOTICE: pdftops-options: -cfg /etc/cups/pdftops.conf
%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%%Creator: xpdf/pdftops 3.00
%%LanguageLevel: 2
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: (atend)
%%DocumentMedia: plain 612 792 0 () ()
%%BoundingBox: 0 0 612 792
%%Pages: 1
%%EndComments
%%BeginDefaults
%%PageMedia: plain
%%EndDefaults
%%BeginProlog
%%BeginResource: procset xpdf 3.00 0
/xpdf 75 dict def xpdf begin
% PDF special state
/pdfDictSize 15 def
/pdfSetup {
   3 1 roll 2 array astore
   /setpagedevice where {
     pop 3 dict begin
       /PageSize exch def
       /ImagingBBox null def
       /Policies 1 dict dup begin /PageSize 3 def end def
       { /Duplex true def } if
     currentdict end setpagedevice
   } {
     pop pop